Wednesday, September 26, 2007

On the Table - some essentials

Don't let anyone tell you that the quality of your tools aren't important. The old saying that a bad craftsman blames his tools, might be correct because a good craftsman/woman knows that having good tools is absolutely necessary. I've found this out the hard way.

A couple of tips that I have found invaluable are:

*Always have a different pair of scissors for each type of material. Seen above are the little scissors I use for Scherenschnitte (paper cutting). I use them on fine paper only. When I'm finished with them I put them away in a box, so there will be no temptation.

*Finding a good brand is like finding gold, don't be tempted by a cheap alternative as you'll be wasting more money that you think. I have one brand that I just love, many of you will be familiar with the Japanese company Clover. I first bought one of their seam rippers a few years ago and I haven't looked back. I've found all of their products to be superior in every way and are worth every penny.


On other news, the website is nearly finished and will be live as of the 1st October. To coincide with the new website the blog will be undergoing a template change. It might take a bit to work out any new bugs that inevitably accompany a big change so if you do have any problems with the site or the blog once it's up I'd really appreciate hearing from you :)

Wish me luck!


8 comments:

djbebe said...

I was brought up with knowing that mum's green handled scissors were for cutting fabric ONLY, not to go anywhere near paper. I still keep to that with scissors - but I do commit what's most likely a sin by using the same rotary cutter for fabric and paper... You've made me feel guilty - must go separate and label my blades! I've heard several recommendations for the Clover seam ripper so that will be my next purchase for sure. Looking forward to your new website!

Florence Forrest said...

Thanks djbebe :) The seam ripper is excellent, you'll wonder what you've been doing with out it all these years. As to labelling your rotary cutters..you'll thank me in the end I'm sure. They are notorious for going blunt very fast and I'd image using them on both fabric and paper would be even worse! :D

xx

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

I always enjoy visiting your lovely creativities.

xxx

Anonymous said...

ahh, the tools of a crafter are products of another craft process. they are our friends.
...i look forward to your new website, you have worked long for this moment, i know!
xx
jude

Florence Forrest said...

Thank you so much Jaihn :D

Jude, it seems like I've been working on it forever..but I've got heaps quicker at it now and it's very nearly finished, just 4 more pages and some images left!! oh and some photography and editing and well.... you know how it goes ;)

xx

Elisa said...

You are so right, good tools are lots more fun. I look out for your new website. Good luck and I love the things you make.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good tips for anyone into crafts.

Florence Forrest said...

Thanks Captain and Elisa :)

xx