Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Paintings of Katy Horan

After much anticipation I finally received my Painting "Owl #2" by Katy Horan from her Life and Death series. I discovered her work last year on Flickr and ever since I have coveted every one of her painting in her contemporary Folk Art style. I managed to put a down payment on "owl #2" before it went to be exhibitioned at Paperboat Boutique in Milwaukee and waited for its return to her in New York before it was sent to me. It was worth the wait as it is beautifully crafted. Painted on Masonite with plywood cradle, the whole piece is painted and there is a delicate white lace detailing around the cradle edge that finishes the piece off as an object. I was even more impressed with it in real life than I was with the digital image.

The painting above is one of her new works as yet untitled but it portrays a shaman (witch) charging her sacred knife from a stronghold of power (my description). I love this as I have a penchant for telecommunication towers, antennae, broadcast towers and electrical towers etc. I wonder if she does lay-buy?

I would love to have writen about her work in more detail, but I'm currently on a time-out to recharge my batteries (a bit like the second painting) . I think you will see, however, that her reduction of forms in an illustration style does not etiolate their symbolic power (as can happen) but rather points to older traditions of folk art and carving. I'm looking forward to seeing how her work develops and understanding more of the background of her inspiration.

Katy Horan's Live Journal blog is The K-Bear

6 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Enjoy your time out, Florence! Katy Horan's work looks wonderful. Very creative.

Anonymous said...

beautiful florence, thanks for the link and as always your wonderful words. happy recharge!

Rebecca-the-Wrecker said...

thanks flo- this is such wonderful work.
have a delightful defrag!

Anonymous said...

The last one is interesting for me in that the linear pattern corresponding with what looks like blood, merges two different kinds of representation, as part of each other. similar to tatoo maybe...

And also it , i think with a capital interpret somewhat the first one with its patterns. How odd this work is, it looks a American Indian somehow.

- those linear patterns are more than decoration, theyre loaded - good folk art maybe?

Defragging, must be windoze version to take so long :).

shane said...

capital D (!)

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

just passing threw,come by for a visit